Sunday, September 14, 2014

Reflection 1

           The previous three weeks have been very interesting. These first lessons have served as a refresher for my java skills and have really introduced me to some new topics which I had never explored.

           I took a Programming in Java class in 8th grade and also attended a week-long computer programming camp the following summer. Given that, I know a fair amount of Java but my skills were pretty rusty coming into 11th grade. These first couple of lessons have helped me remember much of this information. It helps that I have learned it before because it makes much of it easier to relearn. 

           Additionally, I have been working on a couple of projects on projecteuler.net, which offers extremely tough math problems that can only be solved using programs. I have completed the first and second problem and hope to finish the third problem this upcoming week. The third problem asks for the largest prime factor of a long number around 900 billion. It is helpful for me because it ties in the lesson (on long, string, int, double, etc) with some skills that I need to develop (prime number checker). It has really advanced my computer programming skills and made me think long and hard about these problems. I don't expect to get too far on the website; the problems get very hard very quick. 

           Also, there have definitely been some lectures in class that involved things I did not know about. For instance, I was not familiar with many of the codes to get quotation marks or tabs inside the output text box. I also did not know the specific limits on data types such as long and double. These lectures have really helped me learn things that I was never taught or completely forgot from my earlier classes. I have also gotten help from the other students in the class who are more advanced from a programming standpoint than me. 

           All in all, these first lessons have not been too difficult for me, but I soon expect them to get harder while I start learning things I was never taught before.

No comments:

Post a Comment